24) D is for... Dungeon of the Endless

The challenge: To play through each of the games on my Steam library.
The rules: I have to play at least 1 hour of each game, in alphabetical order.



Made by Amplitude Studios, Dungeon of the Endless is another entry into their seemingly....endless...Endless games. I think I'm going to be unable to look at the word endless for a while after this.

You play as crew members of a spaceship which has crash landed on a strange and hostile creature-infested planet. Your goal is to get your big yellow diamond from one end of the dungeon to another. Sounds pretty par-for-the-course but Dungeon of the Endless is one of the more unique games I've seen whilst doing my Steam challenge.

This is like 1/3 the enemies you'll normally see


The game is somewhere between a rogue-like and a tower defense game - in the first half of each floor you'll be exploring a dungeon, discovering equipment, leveling up your characters and researching new tech. You'll also be discovering 'Dust' - a magical powder that somehow powers the rooms you move through. Each room you power can then be outfit with resource generators (for the aforementioned leveling, building and research), and defensive turrets. In the second half of the floor, you'll be picking up your crystal and trying to hoof it to the floor's stairs while not getting killed.

You only begin with a basic combat turret, and the game intends for you to research more later, but that's where I found the first thing I didn't like. The research choices are random, so it seemed very possible (even likely) to not get anything very useful, or affordable. Resources are extremely limited as they're all generated when you discover a new room, and there are a finite number of rooms on each floor. This means you have to build / level / research as perfectly as possible, with no room for error.

For some reason the Team Fortress 2 characters were in this spaceship too


Which brings me to the other major thing I disliked about this game. It is difficult. Extremely difficult. As in I-didn't-get-past-the-first-floor difficult.  I'm no stranger to tricky games, but I just couldn't find a good strategy to get the damned crystal to the end of the level. I tried taking it slowly, rushing it, and everything in between. I only finally got some success when I switched the game to 'too easy' mode.

This game has graphics and music which are OK, maybe even good, and it blends two genres in a really interesting way. But I just couldn't see the fun of bashing my head against its difficulty curve, and that's coming from someone who genuinely enjoys punishing games. I know some people on my friends list are gonna hate me for this, but I think this one is a BG.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

29) E is for... Elven Legacy Ranger

Itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality Mini Reviews #2

31) E is for... Endless Legend