22) C is for... (The) Culling of the Cows

The challenge: To play through each of the games on my Steam library.
The rules: I have to play at least 1 hour of each game, in alphabetical order.



According to my super brief research, The Culling of the Cows was released in 2014 by a publisher called DL Softworks. The reason I checked this is because I'm certain this is an early noughties Newgrounds Flash game, come to haunt my Steam list with its inexplicable presence.

You play as Sammy, a problematically stereotyped character, and your job is to shoot a lot of zombie cows. You do this by moving around a single screen, shooting right. You can move around this screen freely (although you won't because only upwards and downwards motion is useful) but you can't turn around so if a zombie cow gets past you too bad.


It's hard to find a screenshot with no mushed up animals in it :(

To add a little variety to this tedium there's a couple of types of upgrades which make your gun better, an airdrop which gives you stuff randomly on a cooldown, and set 'assists' you'll get each level. The assists are just things like turrets and firebombs on a cooldown - eh, fine. 

The upgrades are your standard stuff - exploding rounds, faster shots, more ammo capacity. Sadly, they just aren't very balanced or varied and I quickly found myself picking the same thing each time. I also found the laser pointer upgrade entirely useless. The difficulty of the game comes with guessing where your character is in relation to the enemy, so you'd think the laser pointer would be useful? Wrong! It doesn't actually interact with the enemies so it doesn't give you any aiming help at all.

The airdrop is also a wonder in bad game design, as it gives you a random item. Not too bad on the face of it, but some items are only useful as soon as you can trigger the drop (i.e. money with which to buy upgrades), and some are only useful in very set circumstances (a free reload, invincibility). It meant there was no good time to trigger the drop, so I ended up just triggering it when my finger accidentally hit 'E'.

Of course the game apparently has Nazis in too

Truthfully, the more I played this game the more I was just kind of sickened. The graphic and sound design is just gratuitously gory, for no real reason or benefit, and I was exhausted by the game when I got to the level which was 'these zombies are hippy zombies, haha hippy murder is funny'.

The Culling of the Cows has a weirdly good rating on Steam, which is probably why past me bought it. Grossness aside (and you really can't put it aside to be honest), it's just not really a good example of its genre. If you like this type of games (and I generally do), then just go play Crimsonland. This is just a BG.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

29) E is for... Elven Legacy Ranger

Itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality Mini Reviews #2

31) E is for... Endless Legend