14) C is for... Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

The challenge: To play through each of the games on my Steam library.
The rules: I have to play at least 1 hour of each game, in alphabetical order.



Chivalry: Medieval Warfare was released in October 2012, and is based on a mod for Half Life 2 called Age of Chivalry. I think the main reason we bought it at the time was because Mount and Blade was a big part of our lives, and we wanted more of the same. It plays very differently though, as (apart from the tutorial) it's multiplayer online matches only.

In this game there are two factions within an army's camp - the Knights, who are loyal to the king (blue team) and the Order, who are loyal to the army's General (blue team). The gameplay is fairly simple - it's a first person medieval combat sim, where you can pick one of four classes, each with their own specialty. There's a bit more too it with customisable characters, but I found I really liked the spear wielder so I ended up playing him the whole game. The combat's simple enough too - you have three kinds of attack (pretty much light, heavy and sweeping) and you block by holding right mouse button and looking at the enemy's weapon tip.

Even Hanzo mains can find a place here

Really though, this game doesn't need a lot of depth as it has bags and bags of personality. The tutorial, for example, is full of NPCs with a vast array of weird and wonderful voices, and I'm pretty convinced they were all voiced by one person. When you kill or (more likely) get killed, there's a wet 'splosh' noise and you lose limbs just like the Black Knight from Monty Python. It sounds gory but its actually just ridiculous.

The game itself is really fun, too, and seems to have loads of different modes of gameplay. In the hour I played there were five different styles of match and I saw no repeats - my favorite being a free-for-all skirmish across some desert ruins, where I came in third through virtue of sneaking up behind people and stabbing them with my very long spear.

The game doesn't take itself seriously - it also apparently had tie-ins to Rocket League

For a 2012 game which has had very similar games come out recently (most notably For Honor), I was initially surprised people were still playing it. But after giving it a go, I can see why. There's a kind of silly joy to it, running around a battlefield stabbing at people who are probably on the enemy team (it gets hard to tell as everyone gets covered in blood after a while). Or maybe that's just me? Anyway, definitely a Good Game.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

29) E is for... Elven Legacy Ranger

Itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality Mini Reviews #2

31) E is for... Endless Legend