2) A is for... Age of Wonders

The challenge: To play through each of the games on my Steam library.
The rules: I have to play at least 1 hour of each game, in alphabetical order.

Apparently in the past we bought all of the Age of Wonders games, which means that you are now entering the Age of Wonders Bloc. Steam largely lists these in chronological order, with the exception of Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, which will be the last one of the series I'll try.

So, Age of Wonders. This game was released in 1999, and I think it was fairly popular. The tiny pixelated graphics remind me of the countless hours I burned playing Command & Conquer, so it instantly endeared itself to me. Everything is clear enough to be very playable, and I actually cheered out loud when I saw this game had some useful elements such as tutorials! Tooltips, even!



As far as I can tell humans are the baddies in this game - they invade Elven lands and decide to kill them all. The Elves are living in castles and rainbows whereas presumably humans come from the land of misery and pain? Half the Elves decide that they should still totally be nice and forgive the humans, and the other half decide that revenge should be had for all of their slain kin. Honestly I couldn't really understand why the 'Light Elves' decided attempted genocide was a-OK, so I chose to play the 'Dark Elves' (Ugh, I know).

So in I go, and I'm pleasantly surprised to find there's character creation. After genning up my skeleton boy, and calling him Cobblebones (Polygon, I'm free if you need someone to do goofs on Monster Factory), I tabbed out of the game to take the screenshot. When I went back in I was confronted with this.

Alas, Cobblebones, I didn't play you in the end.


Turns out AoW doesn't like being tabbed out of, so I don't have too many screenshots of it. Incidentally, AoW doesn't really like running at all, and it crashed three times during the hour I played it.

Still, the game I did play was pretty good! Dated, obviously, but there's a solid strategy game here, and I loved being able to take over enemy castles and then produce units of their kind. My platoon of evil unicorns and fairies was a force to be reckoned with.

The only reason (apart from the crashes) that I wouldn't recommend AoW are the sequels - I suspect they will have a few quality of life and graphical improvements. I suppose I'll see soon!

So, just for you AoW, I'm creating the folder 'GGWP' (Good Game, Won't Play).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

29) E is for... Elven Legacy Ranger

Itch.io Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality Mini Reviews #2

31) E is for... Endless Legend